Topic: VPN support

Hello,
I think it would be great if VPN support could make the "short list" of feature requests. This is pretty important to some users (myself included). AFAIK, the "NetworkManger approach" is to just use vpnc. Are there any plans to add this soon?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: VPN support

I've done quite a bit of work on to add pptp-vpn support, nothing for vpnc yet.  Its been on the back burner for quite a while though, I've been concentrating on 1.5.0 related stuff.

dano wrote:

I've done quite a bit of work on to add pptp-vpn support, nothing for vpnc yet.  Its been on the back burner for quite a while though, I've been concentrating on 1.5.0 related stuff.

I'm not familiar with pptp-vpn, do you have a homepage for that project? Any vpn support is good as long as it works wink I was just suggesting vpnc because that is what I have used before.

Thanks,
Jeremy

PPTP is the Microsoft VPN protocol.  VPNC is the Cisco implementation.  There's also openVPN.  Each needs to be supported separately.

and adding pptp support will require at least some sort of support for working with ppp, so dialup support will likely be a side-effect of adding it...

Yeah, I think that's correct.  If not it would probably only require some minor adjustments.

No vpnc support? This totally kills me. You need to say this on the main page!
Now I am stuck totally. I can't get Network-Manager to work with WPA2, and I can't get wicd to work with the VPN. I need =both things working!

You could always trying configuring vpnc through the command line...

dano wrote:

You could always trying configuring vpnc through the command line...

Maybe I do not understand what "no vpnc support" means. I have the vpnc program installed, and it is configured correctly. The same file works perfectly in SUSE. But in Ubuntu, using wicd, I always get a "no response from server" message. Is there some reason that vpnc is blocked by wicd? Has anyone gotten vpnc to work with wicd?

Hey jarome,

As I mentioned on Ubuntu Forums (my username is imdano there), there is nothing about wicd that I know of that would block vpnc from working.  Do you know if SUSE and Ubuntu are using the same version of vpnc?  I googled the error you were getting yesterday and saw results that suggested some config file changes were needed depending on the version being used.  I don't know if anyone has used vpnc with wicd, though I've used pptp VPN with success in the past.