Topic: Wicd with mschapv2 and wpa2

Hi, I'm using wicd with Arch Linux. I go to a university and they use mschapv2. I've tried learning exactly what that is but I can't figure it out.

Right now, I can connect to the wireless network through wicd, but it is ungodly slow, the google homepage takes about 10 seconds to load. My signal is definitely strong enough. Right now, I'm using "PEAP-TKIP", and entering "students\username" for identity, my school password for the password, and the path to the cert we need to use. However, I don't see any option for mschapv2, so I'm wondering if that might be why it's slow.

Another thing that worries/confuses me is that my wired internet is just as slow. I know the wall jack and cable themselves are fine, because they work automatically with another computer, very fast. However, I disabled the daemon that starts it up, then connected to the wired network by using ifconfig eth0 up and dhcpcd eth0, but it was still slow as hell! Just to make absolutely sure, I booted in a liveCD and connected to the wired internet that way, and it was STILL SLOW.

About 2 weeks ago, before school started, my wireless was working perfectly with wicd at home. I guess it's possible something happened to my hardware since then, but it seems doubtful...it seems way more likely that my school's network is just hard to connect to.

I really have no idea what to do or what all this means. Can anyone help me?

Re: Wicd with mschapv2 and wpa2

MSCHAPV2 is an authentication protocol.  The encryption type you chose in wicd takes care of that for you:

name = PEAP with TKIP
author = Fralaltro
version = 1
require identity *Identity password *Password ca_cert *Path_to_CA_Cert
-----
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
        ssid="$_ESSID"
        scan_ssid=$_SCAN
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="$_IDENTITY"
        password="$_PASSWORD"
        ca_cert="$_CA_CERT"
        phase1="peaplabel=0"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

Note the last line.  The template is working, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect at all.

I'm not sure what's causing the poor performance at your school.  Especially if its happening with both wired and wireless interfaces, but not with other computers.  I'd guess its some configuration issue on your machine, or maybe an issue with the way your school's network is dealing with your computer, but I'm really not sure.

Re: Wicd with mschapv2 and wpa2

Hi,

I got the same problem a couple of days ago, the problem is that with PEAP-MSCHAPv2, you don't have a CA cert. I found the answer on another forum.

You need to create the folowing template:

name = PEAP with MSCHAPv2
author = ElitestFX
version = 1
require identity *Identity password *Password
-----
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
        ssid="$_ESSID"
        scan_ssid=$_SCAN
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
        identity="$_IDENTITY"
        password="$_PASSWORD"
}

Thanks to ElitestFX for the template and to the wicd dev team for this great software.

Cheers

Last edited by stdt (2009-07-10 17:24:13)